Wednesday, February 26, 2014

10.02.2014

I'm sitting under the lime tree watching the puppies play in the grass. I'm starting to feel sad that there are only 2 more nights left here. Last year, my trip to Lake Asososca was the highlight, but yesterday's trip to the beach wins the prize this year.

Visiting the beach in the States is such a battle. It's so crowded that you can barely make it to the water.  I went to the beach with Reynaldo who works in the pharmacy at the Health Post. The rest of the people that intended on coming enjoyed last night's Fiesta of the patron saint of Los Leches too much!  Basically this was similar to the fiesta at Telica, but in a smaller space, with more friends from El Tololar and a better disco!



Nevertheless, I took the 7am bus into Leon, met Rey after his church service (no sleep btw) and walked through Sutiaba, a merchant section of Leon, instead of doing the only thing I know which is taking a taxi!

The bus to the beach is also much longer and more packed than taking a taxi and I received a history lesson of the neighboring areas. Rey has been so great in telling me so much about Nicaragua and El Tololar. I'm hoping that I can help him a little too in learning how to swim with lesson number two.

 Despite crowded company on the bus, there were only a handful of people actually on the beach. That is the plus side of having a friend that knows the ins and outs of Nicaragua.

El Tololar staff
 (Top, from left) Carlos, Miriam, Pamela, myself, Griselda
(Bottom, from left) Reynaldo, Dra Urrutia, Paula

We swam for about three hours and he definitely has gotten a hang of the movements of swimming, only problem is we did not reapply sunblock, ouch!

 Next stop, joining other sunbathers for a nap on the rocks with a cool gentle breeze and the soothing sounds of the ocean. 

Trying to walk the length of the beach took more than three hours during which we discussed the health and social problems in El Tololar and Nicaragua in general. There is the ever-challenging issue of availability of potable water, or even water for the daily operations in the village. Many people I have spoken to here are increasingly disappointed with the government for this and other health issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment