Tuesday, February 4, 2014

31.01.2014

Last day at Heodra, unfortunately. It was too fast where I was just getting into the swing. At least I have achieved my goal of understanding the systems within OB in Nicaragua and observing resource management. I watched my first classic Cesarean section, which is a lot easier to perform than the Finnenstein. They do both, but reserve the classic for emergencies and large babies. I

I also understand now why they do more Cesareans in Nicaragua (45%) because they have an overwhelming adolescent population along with high diabetes rate with many infants being large respective to the mother's pelvis. They do not have fancy monitoring equipment to trial labor as we do, so instead of risking poor outcomes, they section the patients. Despite resources, infection rate is reported to be <0.004%. What a great group, wish I had more time to spend with them!

Additionally, Magda, from CIDS, came by to conduct a key informant interview with one of the lactation consultants who I rounded with in the morning. It looks like we will have a lot of pieces of the puzzle to try to improve women's knowledge of exclusive breast-feeding in El Tololar. 

UNAN residents hard at work

No comments:

Post a Comment