Tuesday, February 4, 2014

27.01.2014

I pressed snooze a few times this morning before peeling myself from bed. By the time I got to the kitchen across the yard, Adilza had a cup of coffee waiting for me. I hurry off to the Health Post and see many of the people of El Tololar on my way. Workers are collecting left over peanuts from the harvest meticulously combing through hay and debris on the fields. Men are tediously cutting grass with machetes.

As I round the corner to the Health Post, I see Rey running a horse across the yard to pull water from the well for the crops and animals, which takes three people and two hours to complete. I will see him shortly running the pharmacy before he goes home to continue working with his family. Sadly, it has me thinking, have I ever actually had a hard days work?

I know I flex my brain a lot at our health center and hospital, especially on a difficult overnight call. It's so easy to feel grounded here in the country where your ties are more with the earth than with machines. Even now sitting in the morning light waiting the the rest of the staff to show up at the Health Post, It is so peaceful, the soft chatter of the People, a few dogs, birds chirping and an occasional bicycle whirring by...

On the other hand, its kind of a big day with the the focus groups and meeting with the people of El Tololar to discuss the results of the breast-feeding project.

Moms and babies at breast-feeding presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment